Saturday 14 December 2013

Stress

Psalm (27:3)
Though an army besieged me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then I will be confident.

Do you need strength, Peace, Wisdom? Direction? Discipline? Whatever your need is, ask for it. God will surely hear you.
Stress runs rampart today. Our competitive, compact, complex world takes it's toll on our minds, spirits, and bodies, leaving us burned out, run over, worn down. Sometimes an emotional explosion is enough to relieve the building pressure; a burst of honest anger can restore perspective. Sometimes all you need is a nice, long vacation-a chance to get away from it all, with no phones, pagers, or other strings attached.
But sometimes the problem is deeper. Have you come to that point where head aches with the sound of your own grinding gears and your eyes burn with the smoke of your own emotional wires?

Do you feel your own strength being sapped and your energy drained by each new problem, each new day? Are you swept up in a whirlwind that's out of control, awash in fierce waves that can swallow you whole?

Psalm (31:10)
My life is consumed by anguish and my years by groaning's; my strength fails because of my affliction, and my bones grow weak.

Psalm (29:11)
The Lord gives strength to his people; the Lord blesses his people with peace.

Psalm (107:28-30)
Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble, and he brought them out of their distress. He stilled the storm to a whisper; the waves of the sea were hushed. They were glad when it grew calm, and he guided them to their desired haven.

It's always something. Prescription medicines, The mortgage payment, School uniforms, Groceries, Utility bills, Credit card payments, Christmas gifts, Car tires, Etc.

How does anyone keep on giving and living when life's demands keep wringing you dry? How much tighter can you tighten your belt? How much harder can you pinch a penny? How much more can you take?

God does care about all this daily stuff that keeps on piling up on us.
He's not to busy or important to be bothered. Talk to him. Ask for his help. Tell him what you need. And then trust him to provide.

Job (3:26)
I have no peace, no quietness; I have no rest, but only turmoil."

Psalm (3:3-6)
But you are a shield around me, O Lord; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head.
To the Lord I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill. I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me. I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me from every side.

James (1:17)
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

One of the most important questions we can ask when some unforeseen tragedy brings us pain and suffering is whom will we permit it to serve-God or the devil?
Will it cause us to become alive in wisdom or paralyzed by bitterness?

Job (2:10)
He replied, "You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?"

Ecclesiastes (5:18-20)
Then he realized that it is good and proper for a man to eat and drink, and to find satisfaction in his toilsome labour under the sun during the few days of life God has given him-for this is his lot.

After looking at the way things are on this earth, here's what I've decided is the best way to live. Take care of yourself, have a good time, and make the most of whatever you have (work etc.) for as long as God gives you life". That's the human lot'. Yes we should make the most of what God gives, both the bounty and the capacity to enjoy it, accepting what's given and delighting in it (work etc.) It's God gift! God deals out joy in the present, the now. It's useless to brood over how long we might live.

Reverend William Bowers

No comments:

Post a Comment